Monday, May 3, 2010

Effect on World





The Braille Characters!!!
Hi again! So in the time between this post and last post you might have been wondering,"What does this guy have to do with me or my community?" In this post you'll find out.


My main effect on the world would be the Braille System. I completed my system when I was fifteen years old. My system was inspired by Captain Barbier's system which he called nightwriting. It was a system which consisted of a series of dots which represented sounds. Once you traced your finger over the dots you would be able to read a message. The only problem with his system was that he was using sounds, which can change in each word and can be very complicated. After many experiments of my own, I realized that instead of sounds the letters of the alphabet should be used. The dots would be arranged in a cell block, with a maximum of six dots in each block. Fortunately, my system worked. That was the beginning of the Braille System, and a new way for blind people to read and write. I officially demonstrated my system for Dr. Pignier, the director of the institute, in 1824.


I also effected the students of the Royal Institute for Blind Youth. After graduating from the institute myself, I became a teacher. Because I invented the Braille System, I was the best one to teach it. I taught history, grammar, arithmetic, and geography. I really enjoyed teaching and I enjoyed seeing the students learn and grow. Even though I received little pay, I managed to buy the necessities and had enough left over for a piano. Of course, this was after several years of saving. Teaching was a great job for me.


One final way I effected the world is I wrote a book for the blind. My book instructed blind people on how to write words, music, and songs using the Braille system. That is why I called it, Method of Writing Words, Music and Plain Songs by Means of Dots, for Use by the Blind and Arranged by them. Don't you just love the descriptive title? Anyway, this helped the blind write words and music. Without my book, they wouldn't have learned how to do these things. So I must have effected those people.

That is how I effected the world. You now hopefully understand why I am an important person. Until next time, goodbye for now!


Louis Braille

End of Post 2

No comments:

Post a Comment